Nehru then told the ailing Sardar Patel, “I am losing my confidence.”

Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel died in Mumbai on December 15 at 9.37 am. In the last month of his life, his health suddenly deteriorated. He did not like the atmosphere of Delhi and the cold weather. His personal doctors advised him to stay in Mumbai. He was then shifted from Delhi to Mumbai Airport.

Let us know how their last days went. How many times have they met Jawaharlal Nehru in the last two months? How the dialogue was exchanged.
In this regard, Rajmohan Gandhi has written in detail in his book “Patel a Life”. The book says that Sardar Patel was in Ahmedabad in the last week of October. He stayed there all 05 days. It was there that he celebrated his 75th birthday. Many events were held on this occasion. On November 02, he returned to Delhi. Soon he began to fight over the question of Tibet. Indeed, Tibet requested diplomatic assistance from India on 30 October 1950. China had entered their country. On November 4, the newspapers reported that China had occupied Tibet.

Wrote a letter to NehruThree days later, Patel sent a letter to Nehru. “I hope I will confront Nehru on foreign policy,” he told Tandon Purshottamdas. At this he felt aggressive.

In November, he published a book on Delhi Swami Dayanand, in which he said that “it has lifted the clouds of doubt over Hinduism and made it as bright as the sun.”“Patel said something special about Tibet,” he said. We didn’t think it would happen … but China didn’t listen to us … Tibet was a religious country. Aggression from Tibet was never shown. But when someone is addicted to power, he understands what he is doing.

Patel was outraged by the Chinese invasion and occupation of Tibet. He was in the mood to confront Nehru with foreign policy, but when his health began to decline, he changed his mind.

Patel’s health began to decline rapidly

Suddenly, Patel’s health began to decline. Then the confrontation between him and Nehru over foreign policy, which was being speculated, came to a halt. His secretary Shankar realized that he was forgetting things. Noticed his daughter Maniben, who lived with him, now unable to hear what he said in a soft voice. They are having trouble sleeping. The pulse has intensified. Weak heart and more pain in the intestines.

Also read – Sardar who made this country ‘one’ and made it a powerful nation

He could not bear the workload at all. Most stayed in bed. Now he was avoiding giving a message to anyone. He stopped his morning walk.

It was then discussed that perhaps Nehru wanted a cabinet panel, the equivalent of a foreign affairs committee, and that Prince would consider some questions that might arise about the state. This made Patel sad. After this, another report came that the secretaries may be replaced. Patel was also worried about the future of Menon and Shankar. However, his suspicions were neither unfounded nor completely true.

Nehru went to meet him on 23 November. Patel then told him that when he was working with his strength and ability, he felt that his self-confidence was declining. Nehru responded politely. Which shows his mood.

Said to Nehru – I want to talk alone

Despite the illness and the sting that followed, Patel sent a handwritten birthday greeting to Nehru himself on November 14. On 23rd November, when Nehru came to his residence at 01 o’clock on Aurang Rangzeb Road in Delhi, Patel fearlessly said, I want to talk to you alone that whenever I get a little strength and I can face the pressure, then you were losing faith .

Also read – Who built Taxila University and how did it end?

“I am losing my faith,” Nehru said with a laugh. Nehru made this comment politely. Nehru knew his breakup was weakening.

Blood stains appear on the bed

On November 21, Maniben saw blood stains on Patel’s bed. A nurse was arranged for immediate night and day service. After a while, Patel was given oxygen. Sushila Nair also came to the aid of doctors. Although there was tension between Sushila and Maniben, which Patel knew about, he asked Sushila one afternoon, are you two women getting upset.
Hearing this, Maniben’s eyes got wet. But he was harsh on those who met Patel. They banned him or banned his arrival. However, Rajendra Prasad, Rajagopalachari, Nehru and Azad kept coming lightly for advice. In this last quarter of 1950, Patel’s bitterness with Maulana Azad came to an end. Better harmony was appearing between them. In fact, Patel believed that Maulana was responsible for what happened in Tandon’s presidential election, which led Nehru to jump into the fray.

Patel began to feel that he could not survive. They even began to express it.

They began to feel that the end was near

On December 5, he began to feel that his end was near. That night Maniben heard them repeatedly mumbling to this lion of Nazir, “Zindagi Kya Ye Tamasha Chand Gulab”. On December 06, President Prasad sat with him for 10 minutes. But Patel was so ill that he was unable to speak. In December, the Chief Minister of Bengal B.C. When Rai came to meet him, Patel asked him, I have to go. Rai himself was a well-known doctor. He immediately said to Patel, “If the case was to go ahead, why should I come to see you?” But his confident words could not convince Patel.
Then, that day and the day after, he kept messing up the same lines as Nazir. Moreover, Kabir’s line would have come on his tongue, “Man lago mero yaar fakiri mein”. Maniben was shocked to hear this, but she did not respond.
Then when Ghanshyam Birla came to him, he heard him saying, “Khulla Mangal Mandir Dayamay”. “What I was afraid of, I think that day is coming,” Maniben told him. A few drops fell from his eyes.

Also read – What if Google suddenly stopped working?

His personal doctors decided to take him to Mumbai

When his personal doctor Dr. Nathubhai Patel prepared to give him an injection on December 10, Patel immediately refused, making my stomach upset. Nathubhai and Doctor Guilder came from Mumbai. He was accompanied by a doctor who saw Patel in Delhi. His condition seemed to be deteriorating. Then the doctors decided to take him there due to the good weather in Mumbai.
Nehru was told this the night before to leave. “We have a lot of things but you don’t have to worry,” he told Vallabhbhai. Just take care of yourself and get well soon and come back. Earlier, Patel had told Gadgil, “I don’t want to live long anymore, make a promise with me.” When Gadgil said yes, he took his friend’s hand and said, “No matter the situation or differences, stay with Pandit.

Sardar Patel with daughter

Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel with his daughter Maniben, he continued to serve him till the last moment. Maniben remained active in politics for a long time after his father’s death, but later left the Congress. He joined the Janata Party when the 1977 elections were held.

Nehru, Prasad comes to drop him at the airport

On December 12, he was in a wheelchair while being flown by the Air Force. They came to release Nehru, Prasad, Gopalchari, Gadgil, Ghanshyam Das and Menon. When the plane reached his chair he turned again and shook everyone. There was a sad smile on his face. Dr. Cutter and Maniben both went aboard with him.

Also read: Why the sudden cold snap in North India, what has snowfall got to do with snowfall?

His anguish was not seen by his daughter

This time, leaving Patel, Nehru and all his allies became emotional. The air travel was long. Patel was annoyed at this. Morarji Desai and other leaders arrived at the Mumbai airport to pick him up, but Patel did not have the strength to meet or shake hands. He was taken to Birla House. Where they were kept on oxygen. The nurses were already present. His condition was not improving. He was constantly bitten and suffering.
The pain caused by his bead was not visible. She was praying to God, “Improve her condition, but if you do not want this, please take her to your shelter soon.”

The last day of life

December 15 was the last day of his life. He had a heart attack at 03.00 in the morning. Consciousness is gone. Four hours later, he regained consciousness. They asked for water. Maniben was fed with a spoon. That said, it sounds sweet. Maniben mixed them with honey and made Ganga water. After this, he lost consciousness again.
He breathed his last at 09.37am. Then son Dahyabhai, daughter-in-law Pandora, grandson BP were present near his bed. As well as some members of the Birla family with Secretary Shankar. Thus, Sardar Patel’s life journey ended here.