Maharashtra: young people from Nagpur returned to the United Kingdom positive for Covid-19, 3 in the family infected

UK returnees at Mumbai airport | Photo credit: AP

Mumbai: Four members of a Nagpur family tested positive for Covid-19 after a 28-year-old man returned from the UK, where two new strains of coronavirus were found.

The young man is an IT professional who stayed in the UK for a month and returned on 29 November. Upon arrival he tested negative on the quick antigen test at the airport, but after a week he developed mild symptoms and was tested on December 14.

He is admitted to Government Medical College and Hospital, while his family members have been asked to remain in home isolation.

“After seven days he said he was showing symptoms and complained of loss of smell. He was tested again for COVID-19 at the Nandanvan Public Health Clinic (PHC) and his rapid antigen test arrived on the 15th. December, “Dr Avinash Gawande, superintendent, government This told the ANI news agency the Nagpur Medical College.

“The family has a history of travel to Gondia (Maharashtra). On December 22 the man was hospitalized. We collected two samples for testing. One sample was sent for RT-PCR testing and another to Pune for further examination, “added the doctor.

No confirmation on patient carrying a new strain until final test reports arrive

The local administration has appealed to the public not to panic as they suspect this case could be a nationwide infection. Although as a precaution, the samples were sent to NIV, Pune.

“We don’t know if it’s the old mutant or the new mutant (of the virus). It has mild symptoms and, as a precautionary measure, it was held in a different ward of the Government Medical College and Hospital here,” NMC Commissioner Radhakrishnan said. B to the PTI news agency.

The Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) appealed to those with a recent history of travel to that country to inform the civic body. “The person concerned alone informed us about his UK travel history. He returned to Nagpur from the UK 15 days ago,” he said.

Earlier this week, the government imposed travel restrictions to and from the UK until December 31, after British Prime Minister Boris Johnson informed the public on December 20 that a new variant of the COVID-19 virus is was found in the UK.

More than 20 passengers returning from the UK have so far tested positive for Covid-19, which prompted states to start tracing contacts.