India wants further talks with China for a “mutually acceptable solution” to the LAC standoff

India on Thursday called for further discussions with China to reach a “mutually acceptable solution” on full disengagement at all points of friction on the Effective Line of Control (LAC) against the backdrop of the nearly eight-month border standoff.

The eighth and most recent round of talks between senior military commanders of India and China was held in Chushul along the LAC on November 6, and the two sides have not held any discussions since then as they have not been able to bridge the gap. differences reported on withdrawal. troops and armored vehicles at key friction points.

“We expect that further discussions will help both sides reach an agreement on a mutually acceptable solution to ensure complete disengagement at all points of friction along the LAC in the western sector and full restoration of peace and tranquility as soon as possible.” The spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Anurag Srivastava said at a weekly press conference.

Read also: India welcomes normalization of ties by Israel and Morocco, calls for talks with Palestinians

Responding to a question about possible talks with China between diplomats or military officials, Srivastava said that several rounds of discussions so far have led to better understanding on both sides.

“The two sides continue to maintain communication through diplomatic and military channels. These discussions have helped both sides improve understanding of each other’s positions, “he said.

India and China have recently blamed each other for the situation along the LAC, where tens of thousands of troops on both sides have taken refuge for the winter. New Delhi argued that attempts by Chinese troops to unilaterally alter the status quo on the LAC and the violation of several agreements to maintain peace and tranquility on the disputed border triggered the stalemate.

Foreign Minister S Jaishankar said on 9 December that China had provided “five different explanations” for deploying thousands of soldiers in the LAC and pushing bilateral ties into their most difficult phase ever. He also said that ties have been “very significantly damaged” by Beijing’s violation of border agreements.

In response to another question regarding media reports that a Chinese Communist Party (CCP) member was hired by the Indian consulate in Shanghai through a Chinese state recruiting agency, Srivastava said the ministry was unable to independently verify the information.

“In some countries, hiring local staff requires the approval of local authorities. However, all our missions and positions ensure the necessary safety precautions in this regard, ”he added.

Read also: The center changes the width of the hilly road citing the connection to the border between India and China, impacts on the Char Dham road

Chinese Embassy spokesman Ji Rong said in a statement that these allegations of “CCP infiltration” were baseless and based on “ideological bias”. He added: “CCP members are not” monsters “… It is utterly ridiculous and defamatory to maliciously tag CPC members. [for] ‘espionage’.”

Answering another question about Indian crew members of cargo ships being blocked in Chinese ports due to China-Australia trade queue, Srivastava said 23 Indian nationals were aboard the MV Jag Anand, anchored near Jingtang Port. in Hebei province since June 13, and another 16 Indian citizens were aboard the MV Anastasia, anchored near the port of Caofeidian since September 20. Both ships were waiting to unload the cargo.

Chinese authorities said crew changes are not allowed in these ports due to Covid-19 restrictions and that shipping company owners and cargo receivers have been informed of the delay in unloading cargo.

“The government continues to be in regular contact with the Chinese authorities to seek a resolution of these problems as soon as possible and to ensure that the humanitarian needs of the crew are taken into account,” Srivastava said.

Source