News Desk, Amar Ujala, New Delhi
Updated Fri, 25 December 2020 05:39 AM IST
Atal Bihari Vajpayee
– Photo: PTI
Listen to the news
I don’t want to touch such power with a chain
Atal Bihari Vajpayee was a leader who adhered to political principles. On the question of purity in politics he once said that I have been a member of this House for 40 years, members saw my behavior, saw my conduct, but broke up the party and formed a new coalition for power, if power comes I will touch power with tongs. Do not want to.
‘Immortal Speech’ in Parliament on 31 May 1996
His speech in this House became immortal. That speech was on May 31, 1996. When Atal was prime minister and a no-confidence motion was moved against his government, he himself spoke of the party’s strength in the House and resigned as president.
The speech he delivered in the meantime is still considered the best speech in politics. At the same time, everyone should be inspired by what Atal GA has said about opposition parties, journalists, etc. Read all those stories.
- Asked what people think of him, he told Parliament, “It is often heard that Vajpayee is good but the party is bad … Well then what do you want to do for this good Vajpayee?” I? ‘
- “I am the prime minister today, I will not be there after a while, my heart did not jump when I became the prime minister, and it is not like I feel sad when I leave everything,” he said in his resignation. … ‘
- On the party’s struggle, he said, ‘40 years of sadhana is behind our efforts, it is not an accidental order, no miracle has happened, we have worked hard, we have gone among the people, we have fought. , This party is a 365 day party. Standing like an election chef is not a party.
- On political transparency, he said, “Whatever is transparent in politics, if the parties come together, the part that comes on the basis of the program is not on the basis of distribution … not to deposit crores of rupees in banks.” .
Vajpayee, who started his career as a journalist, had a very simple attitude towards journalists. He once told reporters-
- “I wanted to be a journalist, I became the Prime Minister, nowadays journalists are making my condition worse, I don’t mind, because I have done this before …”
- Advani and Atal’s relationship is very close. Have been. These two names were always kept together. Atal once said in a funny tone about Advani –
- “One way to bring India and Pakistan together may be to have Sindhi-speaking prime ministers in both the countries, which I wish was fulfilled in Pakistan, but this dream has not yet been fulfilled in India.
Vajpayee believed that parties should be formed or destroyed but the country should not be spoiled. The country should have a system of healthy democracy.
- Whenever the need arose, we helped the government of the time to overcome the crisis, the then Prime Minister Narasimha Rao sent me to Geneva as an opposition party. Were the Pakistanis surprised to see me? They were wondering where it came from. Because here the Leader of the Opposition is not ready to cooperate in the national work. They are engaged in overthrowing their government everywhere, it is not our nature, it is not our tradition. I want this tradition to be maintained, this nature to be maintained, governments to come, parties to be formed – it will deteriorate but this country should remain… the democracy of this country should remain immortal
- The issue dates back to 1984, when Amitabh Bachchan defeated former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Hemwanti Nandan Bahuguna from the Allahabad parliamentary seat. Regarding this election, Vajpayee had revealed in an interview that his Congress would field Amitabh Bachchan against him if he was standing in Delhi in that election. But after that he could not compete with Amitabh’s fame, so he could not stand on his own and will fight the line against Big B.