A new update for ASUS ROG Phone II has been identified which brings a number of new features including support for VoLTE for the T-Mobile network in the US and BSNL in India. It is also rumored that the update will finally bring support for 90fps gameplay to PUBG Mobile, which has been available on ROG Phone 3 for some time.
If you remember, the high refresh rate mode for PUBG Mobile was announced in August for the OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8 Pro, OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro and OnePlus 7 Pro as a timed exclusive. As of September 6, this feature was open to all OEMs, however only a handful of devices, including the ROG Phone 3, introduced the feature. Surprisingly, the ROG Phone II didn’t have the ability to run PUBG Mobile at 90fps, which was odd considering it comes with a 120Hz refresh rate display.
According to the official ASUS ZenTalk Forum, the new firmware update comes with version number 17.0240.2012.65 and has started today.
Here are the full release notes for this update:
- Android security patch update to 2020-12
- Added support for Kunai 3 gamepad controller
- Add “Auto Activate Touch Lock Feature” in Game Genie, where Touch Lock Feature will be activated after a few minutes when idle in game.
- Support India BSNL TIMES
- Supports US T-Mobile VOLTE
- Support for 90 FPS in PUBG Mobile
- Fixed an issue where calling WhatsApp could block the application
- Fixed an issue where notifications were not displayed when using Teams
As of now, the update is only available via OTA, which means you may have to wait for the update to arrive on your device in the next few days as “the server sends the update notice to several serial numbers per batch” . As per the release notes, the new update also brings the latest Android security patch update for the month of December and support for the new Kunai 3 gamepad controller.