Amshipora Kills: Found guilty, Major must face action

An army officer of the rank of major was found guilty of killing of three Rajouri laborers, who initially security forces claimed were terrorists, in J&K’s Shopian district in July of this year, The Indian Express he learned.

The three, one of them a sixteen year old, had gone to the valley from their hometown Rajouri in search of work. They were killed in Amshipora, a village in the Shopian district, in the early hours of July 18.

In September, a Court of Inquiry found prima facie evidence that “the powers conferred by AFSPA 1990 have been superseded” and the “Dos and Don’ts of the Army Chief of Staff (COAS) approved. by the Honorable Supreme Court have been violated “.

The Summary of Evidence that followed was completed last week and found that the Major should be tried in various sections.

Evidence summary recommendations were forwarded to Lieutenant General YK Joshi, GOC-in-C, Northern Command, sources told The Indian Express. The next step in the process is a court martial.

A defense spokesman said Thursday: “The process of recording the ‘summary of evidence’ has been completed. The same is under consideration by the authorities concerned in consultation with legal advisers to proceed further.

The Indian military is committed to the ethical conduct of operations. Further details will be shared so as not to prejudice the prosecution under army law. “

The room in which the three men stayed is still bare except for two blankets that lie crumpled on the floor. (Photo Express: Naveed Iqbal)

The Amshipora incident occurred in the early hours of July 18. A major and two soldiers from 62 Rashtriya Rifles formed the initial encounter group, which were later reinforced by the J&K Police and CRPF squads.

On 19 July, the Commander of Sector 12 RR held a press conference to announce that three terrorists had been killed in the meeting, which occurred following a cordon and search operation in Amshipora on “specific input” of the 62 RR unit. on the presence of terrorists in the village.

The army gave a detailed account saying that the security forces had been attacked, that there was an exchange of fire and during the recovery of the bodies they had found weapons, ammunition and IED material in the hiding place.

This version began to unfold when a Rajouri family filed a missing person report in August about three of their family members – Imtiyaz Ahmed, Abrar Ahmed and Mohd Ibrar – who had traveled to Kashmir to look for work in July and were in contact with them. on mobile phones until July 16. The family had not been able to contact them later.

According to the family, they had seen photographs of the bodies from the encounter and identified them as their three missing members.

This led to an uproar in the valley, including in Rajouri and the Gujjar community. The army set up a court of inquiry while the police conducted their own investigations.

The men were buried in a Baramulla cemetery, where unidentified militants suspected of infiltrating from Pakistan are buried. Their bodies were exhumed in October for DNA tests, which confirmed the family’s claims.